Friday, October 5, 2012

"Heading out" to the Hospital

Welcome to our family Mya! 

I almost had you in the mini-van!  Yup, here's your birth story:

On Sunday morning, September 23rd, I was at the farmer's market with the girls and my sister, and the Tan-Ngs.  We talked about when the baby was coming, and names that we were considering.  Was it foreshadowing?  Because the same evening, I started contractions just before dinner around 6:30 pm.  Len's mom was over for dinner, and told us to eat dinner before heading out to the hospital since the contractions were still far apart.

When we called the doctor, he said not to go to the hospital until the contractions were closer to 5 minutes apart.  At that point, it was very irregular, 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, 20 minutes...and bearable. My mom came over so that Len's mom could gather some things to stay over, in case we did have to leave.  

By the time Len's mom set up the bed and went to bed, it was close to 11pm.  We thought maybe I won't be having baby that night since the contractions were still ten minutes apart.  I decided to get some rest, and we went to bed thinking it could be a long night.  Nope, after 10 minutes of laying down something happened...  I felt a change... An adjustment, and the contractions were now strong and painful!   Oh, boy! I mean, Oh Girl!  I had to go to the hospital NOW!  

Len and I left the house right away! Luckily, everything was ready to go since the contractions started earlier in the evening... And Len still forgot his wallet!  I had another huge contraction at the door before we left, I couldn't even stand.  Len's mom runs out to the car, and gives me a towel to sit on before we left.  I could really feel the pain of the contractions as I held the seatbelt, wrapping and squeezing it as I felt the wave of pain.  Len was going as fast as he could.  I was living in a moment of terror as I felt burning, and the head pushing downwards!  Was I going to have the baby in the car!?!  

I could feel water coming out, and burning!  Len starts honking his horn, and we start going through red lights, I remember at least two interesctions! Len calls 911,  and tells them that we are on the way to the hospital. Oh no! Len makes a U-turn, we went left on Canada way... Oops!   I'm so scared to move, the pain is scaring me, I can't even sit down on the chair. I see the emergency doors, and a porter is out there to meet us, and he wants me to sit in a wheelchair.  

I barely make it on the wheelchair, and I'm quickly rushed inside the hospital emergency ward...  But they stop us at reception, what!?!  You want me to answer questions and register?  I'm having a baby, and my contractions are super close, and everyone in the ward is staring at me in pain!  Okay, after a few questions, I was wheeled up to the birthing room.  I can have my baby...

Oh no, I can't!  I'm told to wait until my doctor arrives!  I am sooo close!!  I'm told to hold her in, and breathe through the contractions... My water is still intact!  Len comes in, he's relieved that he didn't miss the birth.  I crush his fingers as I breathe through the contractions, keeping baby in.  When I see my doctor walk through the doors, and I start pushing.  The first push, the head was out, and baby was out on the second push!  Mya was born just after midnight, 12:08 am at 7lb 4oz on September, 24th.  (The same birthday as my sister, Grace.) 

Mya Lam
Adelyn's first look at Mya


Big Sister Layla


Happy and excited to see Baby Mya

Layla and Mya

Hello Mya!


Getting ready to leave


Leaving the hospital

 (Thanks for a great title, Victoria!)

1 comment:

  1. I love my girlies! And that sure was an exciting night! Amy, you did a wonderful job. I was definitely a proud husband. Now to sleepless nights...

    ReplyDelete